Thursday, January 15, 2015

Best of Boxpunx number 12


It just made sense that number 12 should be something from Final Fantasy 11 online. This is my version of one of the common enemies, the Goobbue. I played the heck out of this game! It was fun and challenging and engrossing and addictive. I have also played the new one, Final Fantasy 14 online, but just couldn't get into it as much as the other. I did at first, but the excitement wore off fairly quickly, which is probably for the best, really.



Goobbues appear everywhere in Final Fantasy 14 as well, as do quite a few of the other common monsters. I was a bit sad about there not being any of the yellow crawlers. If they were there, I never found them. And I was so looking forward to beating the hell out of them again.



There were some things that 14 did better than 11, but man oh man did I hate the fashion in 14. Both Final Fantasy online games are notorious for making you look silly for long periods of time, unless you played a female character. A lot (most!) of the clothes are VERY effeminate, so the girls always look good and the boys look ridiculous. Eventually you do get to look cool, but it takes forever and I just couldn't wait any longer. So I quit.


The Goobbue template says "My Favorite Game", and I guess FFXI has to be, since I spent more time with it than any other. But I don't really have a single favorite video game. I just like a bunch of them a whole lot! Series 6 was an attempt at a top 24, and if I had it to do all over again, most would be the same for sure, but some would certainly be different, because I definitely have a few new favorites. And speaking of different, I made this template specifically for this model, and never used it again. It's actually a pretty nice template in my opinion. It's glueless, easy to assemble, and lends itself to a variety of interpretations. Maybe I will come back to this template at some point in the near future...

Here's a short video from Final Fantasy 14 featuring the Goobbue, for those of you who have no idea what the heck this thing is.